Trust me, I’m not going to constantly post these screenshots up on the blog so don’t start thinking to yourself, “Ugh – here he goes again with this stuff.” Relax. I’m only sharing the FitBit results below with you because there is an interesting irony behind them. If you take a quick glance at the image below and you regularly read my blog, then you may have figured out that these are the best overall FitBit results that I’ve achieved to date with the device.
However, these results weren’t driven by an internal anger over a prior day’s crappy results or because I walked around New York City all day. Nope. These results were driven by something a little more ironic…
Well, I’m proud of those single-day results, but here’s the irony of the situation: I achieved these results this past Saturday while I was searching for some new clothes to wear during my trip to San Antonio. Don’t see the irony of the situation yet? Well, let me add some clarity – I spent my day hopping from big men’s department to big men’s department trying to find clothes that had a decent fit.
In other words, I burned a bunch of calories by trying to find clothes made for guys who are overweight.
There’s something darkly ironic about achieving these results from that effort. Although, it’s not all dark. Since I’m pretty much an upbeat kind of guy, I’m compelled to note that the search for clothes that fit accounts for only about 60% of these results. The other 40% was generated by playing a new game I bought for my Nintendo Wii which utilizes the Wii Fit Balance Board. That’s right – I stumbled upon my Wii Fit Balance Board about two weeks ago and I managed to intrigue myself into buying some new fitness games for it.
To be more precise, I purchased Walk It Out! and EA Active 2. I’ve played both of these games a few times so far and I like the extra peripherals that come with EA Active 2. They track your movements and, more importantly, they track your heart rate as you exercise. While working out with the video game (which may sound like an oxymoron, but is not), you want to achieve that bell curve-type of result and the heart monitor helps you to determine how you’re doing. I was a little sore after my first EA Active 2 workout, but I wasn’t as sore as I was after I started the Nerd Fitness Level One Rookie Workout (which, by the way, is awesome and one of my favorite, quick workouts).
But the results above were achieved, in part, by playing the Walk It Out! game; a game that is rated E 10+ for everyone above the age of 10. So yes – I played a kid’s game to help me achieve the results above. Go ahead and have your laugh, but I find that game pretty entertaining! I mean, it’s not my favorite type of game (I prefer a Square Enix RPG any day of the week over a workout game), but you know what I mean. The game keeps my interest enough for me to walk a few thousand steps and actually get some use out of the Wii Fit Balance Board. Not a bad outcome for a game that didn’t really cost that much.
Before I end this entry I have to note that my FitBit Ultra has also kept me painfully informed on my horrible sleeping. Since I started using this little tracker a month or so ago I’ve noticed that my average hours slept per night is about six and a half. That’s going to have to change. I’m not sure how my sleep is going to improve, but that’s going to be a focus of mine heading into the fall season.